No problems
Skydrive was on D:\skydive
SkyshellEX_64 working great.

Updated (though windwos store) to 8.1 consumer preview

So.....

SKydrive is now integrated into the OS
Skydrive will wants your info on C:\users\xxx\skydrive
However, if doing upgrade it does NOT move the folder

SKydrive downloads the "header" info for each file, not the whole file unless you specifically tell skydrive to have a folder "offline".

This sounds great - saves space especially for SSD/tablets etc

But..
  1. Header downloads syncs fine
  2. If I go to "my documents - research - grant\File.docx
    It looks fine. Header is there (size on disk very small - 8kb)
  3. Opening file generates error "cannot find header" and does NOT download in the background the file
  4. If I navigate to D:\skydrive\research\grant\file.docx
    opening downloads file from skydrive and all is fine
  5. you CANNOT use the OFFLINE mode if symbolic links are present!!!
So based on how SkyshellEX works, come October I fear it will cease to function. Microsoft on TechNet confirmed they have no plans to support symbolic links (everyone is complaining)

Anyone else?
Coordinator
Aug 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM
I agree. SSX won't be compatible with 8.1. Maybe that's why Microsoft never went with a solution like SSX to sync external folders. I will put an update on the project site informing about the incompatibility.
Aug 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM
What a shame. You created a truly "easy" and I might add even "easier" experience than the original Mesh.

So where to go now? Cubby I guess sicne you can do peer to peer.

Why does MS continually not care about corporate customers or people who actually use their products for work? This concentration on "home" is annoying and this is just another example.

Anyway, thanks for the memories.
          R.I.P.
    October 18, 2013
    SkyshellEx_64
Oct 19, 2013 at 4:08 AM
Updated to 8.1 and after the reboot my computer slowed down to a halt and couldn't figure out why.

Quick look at Task Manager - SkyDrive was the culprit - disk usage was 100%. What could it possibly be doing I asked myself, opened up the first folder, and holy crap.

The symbolic links created a loop of sorts, and SkyDrive started duplicating files into itself and the new set would get duplicated again. Each time that happened it would add my computer name (Y580) to the file name, over and over and over.

Originally the folder had 3 files in it, the result was over 80,000 files within a few minutes.

In addition, each folder I looked into had 2 copies of each file, original file name and same file name with -Y580 added to it. The file with the original name wouldn't even open (duplicated only in size/name etc, but no actual contents).

Had to write a script to delete original and rename ones with -Y580 back to the original, restored 30k files. Quick and sloppy:
Set starting directory
Script will scan it for all sub-directories
Create a list of all files that have both version with and without computer name
Show list, closing list will continue execution (to cancel right click in task tray select exit)
Delete one without computer name, rename one with to one without.
AutoIt3
#Include <Array.au3>
#Include <File.au3>

Local $directories[1]
Local $fileDuplicates[1]
Local $fileRename[1]
Local $dirCount = 0
Local $fileCount = 0
Local $fileReplaceable = 0

$selectedPath = FileSelectFolder("Choose a folder.", "")

DirScan($selectedPath)
FindFiles()

Func DirScan($scanPath)

$search = FileFindFirstFile($scanPath & "\*")

While 1
        $file = FileFindNextFile($search)
        If @error Then ExitLoop

If StringInStr(FileGetAttrib($scanPath & "\" & $file), "D") Then
            $dirCount = $dirCount + 1
            _ArrayAdd($directories, $scanPath & "\" & $file)
            $directories[0] = $selectedPath & " (" & $dirCount  & ")"
            DirScan($scanPath & "\" & $file)
        EndIf
    Wend
EndFunc

Func FindFiles()

For $i = 1 to $dirCount
        $find = FileFindFirstFile($directories[$i] & "\*-Y580.*")

While 1
            $file = FileFindNextFile($find)
            If @error Then ExitLoop

$fileCount = $fileCount + 1

If FileExists(StringReplace($directories[$i] & "\" & $file, "-Y580", "")) Then
                $fileReplaceable = $fileReplaceable + 1
                _ArrayAdd($fileDuplicates, StringReplace($directories[$i] & "\" & $file, "-Y580", ""))
                _ArrayAdd($fileRename, $directories[$i] & "\" & $file)
            EndIf
        Wend
    Next

_ArrayDisplay($fileDuplicates, "These files are about to be replaced")
    DeleteRename()
EndFunc

Func DeleteRename()
    For $i = 1 to $fileReplaceable
        FileDelete($fileDuplicates[$i])
        FileMove($fileRename[$i], $fileDuplicates[$i])
    Next
EndFunc
Marked as answer by bitdisaster on 10/19/2013 at 3:48 PM
Oct 19, 2013 at 11:39 PM
MR Brakefield. Thank you very much for this script. When I realize that the problem was SSX with 8.1 , i came here and saw your solution. THANK YOU very much . its save me a lot of work.

Brakefield wrote:
Updated to 8.1 and after the reboot my computer slowed down to a halt and couldn't figure out why.

Quick look at Task Manager - SkyDrive was the culprit - disk usage was 100%. What could it possibly be doing I asked myself, opened up the first folder, and holy crap.

The symbolic links created a loop of sorts, and SkyDrive started duplicating files into itself and the new set would get duplicated again. Each time that happened it would add my computer name (Y580) to the file name, over and over and over.

Originally the folder had 3 files in it, the result was over 80,000 files within a few minutes.

In addition, each folder I looked into had 2 copies of each file, original file name and same file name with -Y580 added to it. The file with the original name wouldn't even open (duplicated only in size/name etc, but no actual contents).

Had to write a script to delete original and rename ones with -Y580 back to the original, restored 30k files. Quick and sloppy:
Set starting directory
Script will scan it for all sub-directories
Create a list of all files that have both version with and without computer name
Show list, closing list will continue execution (to cancel right click in task tray select exit)
Delete one without computer name, rename one with to one without.
Coordinator
Oct 19, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Thanks Brakefied for the script! There is no way to bring SSX to Windows 8.1. My apology for the trouble you have encountered because of SSX.
Nov 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Hi, im new here, Can someone help me with this?

I haven't created/run a script ever. I believe (from google searching) that I am to paste that entire script into notepad, change "-Y580" to my computer name and save as a .vbs. It fails on first character... should this (#Include <Array.au3>) be in there? I guess Im not sure if I am doing this right and what I need to change for my computer. Thanks!